For this week’s The Creative Closeup, we met up with your neighborhood cool guy with the dopest style around, Darren aka @darrenwearsitwell.
Darren spoke with us about how his life as an influencer began alongside his day job, the work that has brought him his success, and insights into his rebel attitude. This guy is as well-rounded as they come between having a doctorate degree, being an incredible men’s style influencer, AND has an interest in dance (spoiler!). He is living proof that you really can do it all! Read on to learn more about the style expert and coolest dude in town.
Darren / @darrenwearsitwell / July 27, 2018
- Age: 29
- Occupation: Pharmacist
- Ethnic background: i am….i mean…idk idk…im black? I guess there’s German too? My grandmother is part German…but that’s really it. Lets just say black
- How would you describe your scope of influence?
- I’d say its, like, a lifestyle. It really happened organically, since I was traveling so much to get away from work and i was posting my life on Instagram and people just started liking all the stuff I was posting and then the influencer wave happened and I hopped on that. I’m very versatile, one moment I’m in streetwear and another moment I’m dressed up. It really depends on what i’m feeling that morning, like if I’m feeling like a badass, or angry, I’ll probably wear something grungy and leather…it really depends on my mood.
- How did you start? What made you start?
- Traveling and posting. I started posting everything, me going on trips, my daily life, my outfits. I didn’t used to edit the photos, I would just snap and post, not the way I do now.
- How would you describe your aesthetic?
- It’s very clean, nautical themed, very neutral colors….very clean. It’s a representation of…I guess I could call it my OCD, and my standards of cleanliness and how things look, I like to be fresh to death.
Social Media Presence
- How long did it take you to reach 10K? How long ago was this? How many followers do you have now?
- When I first moved to LA, I was fashion editing for a company and I helped build that brand, and then a year after, I realized that this was what I wanted to do and i put a lot more effort and everything into building my brand, and so I’d say maybe a year and a half.
- What do you think your followers like most about you?
- I think they like how I make everything so easy, and that I work, and have a career, and they seem to like my lifestyle, NY for fashion week, partnering with a brand, I think people are curious about what influencer’s lives are and so they like to see how I live.
- Describe your workflow process.
- I will schedule shoots sometimes, but I just really go with the flow, and if I have a shot in my head, I tend to know exactly how I want it. I like to have my camera with me at all times and give it to anyone I’m with to take the shot. I think it’s best when it’s not forced and not planned and its just random. Some of those photos are the best ones that I have.
- What tools do you use to make your life easier?
- This might be so weird but…I edit all my pictures from my phone with Photoshop Fix, Snapseed, VSCO. I have a filter I overlay on all my photos so they stay cohesive.
- How has The Plug helped you in your daily process?
- Yes it has, for me, just watching how much more effective my business is run with more organization shows how The Plug has pushed me. It also has helped me reach out to people and pitch myself. I’ve reached out to Hudson Jeans, and a few local brands, and still more in the works.
- What is your mission statement?
- I don’t really have a mission statement, don’t let anybody define who you are or what you do. People always try to box you in, but you should never let you do that. I’m a rebel and I wear what i want when.
- What drives you?
- I think like, the whole idea of being an entrepreneur and the freedom to be my own boss. Seeing so many people killin it on their own without a anyone telling them what to do. I have so many things i want to do creatively that are dope. I went to school for math and science so i had to shut the creative side of my brain down so now i want to be creative more than ever.
- What has been your biggest challenge?
- I’m trying right now not to be so curated, i want my feed to be clean but i want to also let loose and let my feed be more natural and not care so much. Learning to let things flow and not be so calculated. Being in the moment even though I want to get my picture, don’t obsess over it and not enjoy what you’re doing.
- Do you have a random talent? If so, what is it?
- I don’t really have one, but i do like to dance. I’m still exploring. I’m going to try to attack everything full force when I have the time for it.
- Tell us an interesting fact about you that most people don’t know.
- Hmm. i mean beside the fact that I have a doctorate degree in pharmacy? I graduated with it when i was 23.