Juan / @thedapperjuan / July 13th
- Age: 31
- Occupation: Graphic and web designer for an auto parts company…I love what I do but I wish I could do it more for the fashion industry.
- Ethnic background: Mexican!!!!
- How would you describe as your scope of influence?
- I’ve definitely targeted my audience. My motto is “you don’t have to spend a thousand to look like a million bucks” So I always try to give my followers the best deal whether it was a clearance rack deal or something on sale…I’ll tell them “it’s on sale here go get it now!”
- How did you start? What made you start?
- It all started randomly one day…I think it started sort of when Instagram was just starting to get popular. I remember seeing a lot of posts where people were hashtagging #Outfitoftheday #OOTD #OOTD So Dec 1st of…what is it…2015? Yeah 2015, I decided to upload one of my outfits with #OOTD #dapper and suddenly I got hit up by a small company saying “hey would you mind wearing our ties and just tell your friends about it?” and from there it took off.
- How would you describe your aesthetic? What makes your Suited up dapper look different from everyone elses?
- I typically try to make sure that I don’t go too extravagant on the price point of the pieces and I can wear something very classy and very upscale, but I didn’t spend thousands of dollars, instead I went into a store like H&M and wore one of their suits and made it look good.
Social Media Presence
- How long did it take you to reach 10K? How long ago was this? How many followers do you have now?
- I think it happened within the first year and a half? I got lucky that I got noticed by a lot of mens fashion pages and they re-shared my stuff and helped me grow my following.
- What do you think your followers like most about you?
- I think my followers like that I engage with them. They comment on my pictures and they know I am going to respond to them. They know if they ask me a question, I’m going to answer it. I make sure never to leave a question unanswered because I know if they are following me they really do want to know what my opinion is on things. If they ask me where I got something from, of course I’m going to tell them. I have nothing to hide. I’m a people pleaser and a giver.
- Describe your workflow process.
- Its changed over the years…I used to just put on an outfit and shoot it that day, upload it to thelaptop and edit the photo, and post right away so the photo I posted would literally be what Iwas wearing that day. The jobs I used to work I could wear suits, but now I work in Compton in the industrial area so I would look like a huge douche if I was wearing a suit when everyone else was wearing polos and T-shirts. So what I do now on the daily is I shoot my outfit after work, edit it that night, and then upload it the next day as my #OOTD. I also bring my outfit with me so I can go find somewhere else to take a lifestyle shot or my close up since those are the types of photos I post.
- What tools do you use to make your life easier?
- I use my sony A6000 or my Samsung Galaxy to shoot all my photos, I’ve always been a huge fan of Samsungs since they have that takes a photo when you just say “shoot”. On my phone I use Snapseed, Lightroom, and VSCO.
- How has the plug helped you in your daily process?
- I would have had a much more difficult time keeping track of all my different collaborations if I didn’t have The Plug since my communications were all over the place on DMs or emails and I would have had a hard time keeping track of all the details of the collaborations. It also helped me seal the deal with all the different companies I spoke to.
- What is your mission statement?
- “You don’t have to spend thousands to look like a million” I make sure people understand that, whether you want to wear streetwear or be dapper, you don’t have to go buy themost expensive thing to look good. As long it fits you right and you feel comfortable.
- What drives you?
- I think it’s just the way I was always raised. Since I was little, my mom always told me, “if you’re going to do something, do it right and do it to the best of your abilities.” If I’m going to dance, I’m going to go all out. If I’m going to the influencer thing, even if I can’t commit all of my time, I’m going to still do my best. I know with the little time I commit to it, I’m going to do as much as possible because I’m not necessarily doing it for myself…I’m doing it for what I can help others with, whether it’s helping them put an outfit together for some kind of event. Somehow I’ve become a personal virtual stylist for people…like they will reach out to me with questions like “Hey I’m going to a wedding, which tie should I wear?” with a photo with a two ties and I’m out here in the middle of the night when I should be sleeping,
- What has been your biggest challenge?
- Oh my…so many things. Well…the reason why I have this tattoo, it says “fear display none”, is that, well I’m a web designer and when you want to hide an image from the internet but you don’t want to delete, you just put [display none] after so it hides it. So what the tattoo says is, yes there is fear, but hide it, don’t display it. I’ve always had fear of pretty much everything, and recently it has been a bit of a political thing, and I don’t want to get too political, but right now, it’s pretty scary as a minority living in Trump America. I’ve worked really hard to overcome this fear of doing things and living, and I think even though I might fail something, I’m going to do my best and try it anyways.
- Do you have a random talent? If so, what is it?
- I’m a dancer in a traditional Mexican Folk team. A lot of people don’t get to find out about that until I show them a video or invite them to a show. I mean I’ve been dancing since I was 8, because one summer I wasn’t doing anything, and my mom decided I wasn’t going to sit at home and do nothing. My first dance class I HATED it. Every Wed at 6pm, I hated it for the first 3 months and dreaded Wednesdays. Now, years later, my family’s asking me why I’m still doing it.
- Tell us an interesting fact about you that most people don’t know.
- I recently found out I have a hidden love for K-Pop, it’s my new guilty pleasure.